I found that the Gerry O'Connor book was very useful in helping me to get started. It comes with a cd, lots of information starting from very basic up to being able to play 30 well known irish session tunes. well illustrated and though I have had mine for over 5 years now I still refer to it for info regularly even now. A DVD is available I believe, but I dont have that so can't comment.
Enda Skahil has written a splendid book and two CDs. I think that it is miles better than anything else out there. The focus is on learning the instrument. You use the tunes to learn the instrument. Using the instrument to learn tunes follows on after that.
It takes time and patience to lay down a solid foundation, and Enda leads you through that. That requires a commitment to learning. My advice would be that we don't need to worry about talent or natural ability. Pele, the great footballer was once told that he was a genius. Pele replied that if that's so; genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration I sincerely believe that we all contain the 1%. If you can hear a tune and then whistle it, if you can listen to a piece of music and be moved by it, then you have the 1%. The other 99% is up to us. All the musicians that we think of as being gifted or of being a natural and make it look easy, have put in many hours of practice.
Enda's book leads you through what you need to know and allows you to practice the skills that you need to learn.
Id recommend the Gerry O'Connor book recommended by Ron. I think it is thorough enough. I heard good reviews about Endas one but his technique is quite different.